PRIVACY and CONFIDENTIALITY
Elanora Heights Community Preschool requires that certain information be collected in accordance
with the regulatory framework of operating a children’s service.
Collection of Information
- Our preschool will ensure that each family, staff, volunteers, student and committee member is provided with a Privacy Collection Statement upon enrolment or employment
- Persons providing the information should be given appropriate access to their information
and be advised about the purpose for the collection of the information
- Personal information must only be collected and used specifically for the purpose of the
- Personal information may include, family members names, emergency contact details, phone numbers, emails, addresses, dates of birth, occupations, immunisation records, medical and health information, legal information and cultural identity
- Personal information should be collected in a fair and unobtrusive way.
- Collection of information is limited to only the amount of information that is necessary for
the organisation’s activities. It is generally only collected with consent of the individual.
- The primary purpose for collecting information is to enable Elanora Preschool to provide
each child the education and care that is appropriate to their needs.
- Elanora Preschool will take steps to ensure the personal information collected, used or
disclosed, is accurate, complete and up to date. Parents will be required to update their
enrolment details annually or whenever they experience a change of circumstances.
Computer records will be updated as soon as new information is provided.
- Elanora preschool will ensure each staff member, committee member, volunteers and student information is correct in personnel files. This includes information on qualifications, WWCC, criminal history checks, staff entitlements, contact and emergency information, health and immunisation information and any relevant medical and legal information
- Confidential conversations that staff have with parents or the Nominated Supervisor has
with staff members will be conducted in a quiet area away from other children, parents and
staff. Such conversations are to be minuted and stored confidentially
Use and Disclosure
- Our privacy and confidentiality policy is detailed on our web site and paper copy in each class room
- A brief statement of policy is included on the waiting list form and parents are informed of it when placing their child on the waiting list
- Personal Information – Disclosure of information should only be for the purpose for which
it was collected. This is with limited exceptions and can only be used for a secondary
purpose when it relates specifically to the primary purpose of the collection of the
information, as an DEC authorised officer or persons permitted or required by an act or law
- Elanora Preschool discloses personal and sensitive information to the service’s staff for
the specific purpose of administration and education of each child.
- Sensitive Information – can only be used when informed consent is obtained at the time
the information was collected.
- Elanora Preschool will obtain parent/guardian permission before disclosing a child’s personal
and sensitive information to a professional attending our centre for the specific purpose of
providing a service for your child. This includes early intervention teachers, speech and
occupational therapists, doctors and counsellors.
- Students, volunteers and work experience students will be informed of our confidentiality
protocols and directed to never divulge the names of children or families.
- Students, volunteers and work experience students will not make educators, children or
families at the service objects of discussion e.g. social media, tutorials, colleges, schools unless written consent is given
- Personal Information collected about children is regularly disclosed to their own parents or
guardians. On occasion information such as children’s personal achievements, work and
photos (e.g. details and photos of the week’s activities are displayed in a class book) are
displayed within the boundaries of our service’s building
- All matters discussed by the Board of Directors are to remain confidential
- Elanora Preschool from time to time engages in fundraising activities. Information received
from parents may be used to make an appeal to them. We will not disclose your personal
information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent or for
any other reason that for the purpose in which it was collected.
- Elanora Preschool may include emergency contact details in a class list and in Elanora
Preschool’s contact directory. Access to these is limited to the staff of Elanora Preschool.
- In the case of an emergency, medical treatment plan information will be given to medical or
- With parental consent Elanora Preschool may disclose some information to other sources.
This may include government departments or medical practitioners.
- If Elanora Preschool is provided with the personal information of others, such as doctors
or emergency contacts, we encourage parents to inform them that this information is being
disclosed to the centre and why. Parents will also need to inform them that they can access
that information if they wish to do so.
- Portfolios for each child are available to parents. They are requested to only look at their child portfolio.
- The Nominated Supervisor will ensure that information kept is not divulged or communicated, directly or indirectly, to anyone other than a parent or guardian responsible for the child or others as outlined as appropriate in the Education and Care Services National Regulations 181
- Information may be denied under the following conditions:
- access to information that could compromise the privacy of another individual
- the request for information is frivolous or vexatious
- the information relates to legal issues, or there are legal reasons not to divulge the information such as in cases of custody and legal guardianship
- Parental consent is required to use images or photographs on the internet, publications or advertising if the child is identifiable.
- Our Complaints and Concern policy is available for families in each classroom
- Staff will be required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement (see forms Part 9 )
- Staff will be consulted on their preference of identification on our web site
- Elanora Preschool takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that any personal information collected, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. However, the accuracy of the information depends to a large extent on the information that is provided by the individuals.
- Individuals are required to advise of any changes that may affect the initial information provided.
- The licensee of the service will ensure information is collected and maintained in accordance with the Education & Care National Services Regulations 2011.
Openness, Access and Correction
- Elanora Preschool will protect personal information from misuse, loss, change & unauthorised access or disclosure.
- The licensee of the service will ensure personal information is stored in accordance with the Education & Care National Services Regulations 2011 i.e. in locked storage areas and in accordance with administrative protocols. Refer to 4(g) Retention and Storage of Records
- Parents/guardians may seek access to the personal information collected about them and their child by contacting the centre. Children may also seek access to personal information about themselves. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others, where access may result in a breach of the service’s duty of care to the child or where children have provided information in confidence.
- Information is collected in a variety of ways. These include, but are not limited to, enrolments forms, face to face discussions, use of daily diaries, meetings, personal correspondence, use of electronic mail & telephone calls.
- Elanora Preschool will offer anonymous transactions within the organisation wherever possible.
- Individuals have the option of not identifying themselves or they can use a pseudonym
Transfer Data Flows
- Elanora Preschool will not transfer personal information outside of Australia.
- Elanora Preschool respects the rights of an individual’s sensitive information.
- A high level of privacy protection applies to sensitive information.
- Sensitive information relates to information about a person’s religious beliefs, racial or ethnic origin, philosophical beliefs, political opinions, membership of a political association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal records or health information.
- Sensitive information will only be collected with an individual’s consent to do so.
- Sensitive information will only be used when informed consent is obtained at the time the information is collected.
- Sensitive information will only be sighted by the child’s parent or caregiver, some centre staff or authorised Department of Education and Communities.
- In matters regarding duty of care, the interest of any child will take priority over considerations of confidentiality.
This should be read in conjunction with our Retention and Storage of Records Policy and Dealing with Complaints and Feedback